There was indeed a brewery at Little Stonham and its history with the Maltings has been noted. In the early Directories, mention is made of brewers/maltsters and one such is Mr John Cuthbert. This gentleman was obviously a man of some importance because he was also mentioned as a brewer at Ipswich. In the early 1800s he owned most of the land stretching between the Stowmarket Road and Church Lane. The Brewery, with its wooden structures, were familiar to Mr Cuthbert. It can be deduced that in the early years, the 'brewing' side of the malting process was of principal interest. Working together with Mr Cuthbert in the village were Mr William Pooley and four other maltsters in 1841. Indeed, brewing prospered because ten years later, Mr Cuthbert employed six men and had three house servants. In 1855 Mr Sedgewick joined Mr Cuthbert and a partnership was formed. For thirty years, business boomed!
Interestingly, it was reported that beer bottles had been found in a garden with the words Tauls' and `Stonham' printed on them. The Malting industry was extending considerably. It seems likely that Mr Dawson came to an arrangement with the brewers and, the business became incorporated within the Maltings industry. The 'village network' was in operation in another way! Mr Markin, whose history with his mill is known, was also 'victualler' of The Brewer's Arms. He had 'a finger in many pies'. There was obviously, a lot of 'goings-on' at the crossroads.
The Tap' – The Old Brewer's Arms at the Cross Roads, Stonham.
The 'Brewer's Arms' has long been known to Stonham residents as 'The Tap'. It was not only the ale that was 'on tap'! Once a year, a dance that set all feet a-tapping, took place in the upper rooms! Some of these dances were organised by Mrs Banham, and the money raised during the last World War was saved and given to the men, who came home from the war. The action that they saw in the war-torn countries was not to be forgotten by those who remained at home.